Re: Does anyone use message/external-body?

on 11/15/2002 4:14 PM Keith Moore wrote:
>>> However, this raises a question: does *anyone* use external-body in
>>>  association with I-D announcements?
>>
>> Several MUAs support message/external-body, but they don't all work
>> with the I-D announcements. Specifically, some MUAs only render the
>> entities if a Content-Transfer-Encoding MIME header field is defined,
>>

> How bizarre.  You mean those MUAs can default to 7bit for other
> bodyparts but not for message/external-body?

That's right. They aren't applying the default CTE to the entity headers
inside the message/external-body entity.

> And that multiple implementors have made this same error?

Netscape has had this problem since 3.x, and Mozilla still has it
(presumably they are all the same code tree). I seem to remember others
having the same problem but I can't find my testing notes.

>> Even though fixing the MUAs would be the best fix in the long-term,
>> adding the CTE MIME header field to these entities would at least
>> allow more MUAs to render the entities appropriately. Since this is a
>> mandatory header field for some entities, there is some argument that
>> the missing CTE is the problem anyway.
>
> The RFC is quite clear that in the absence of a
> content-transfer-encoding field it is interpreted as 7bit.

Well, yeah, I don't disagree with the default interpretation. "Some
argument" specifically refers to those times when the docs aren't 7bit
(plenty of examples of I-Ds with 8bit text, despite the rules there too),
which eventually nests into ~it should always be declared.

> But I do think it would be an interesting experiment to add the line
>
> content-transfer-encoding: 7bit
>
> to the external body parts of those notices, just to see how many more
> MUAs worked with them.

It makes NS/Moz usable anyway.