Re: mail headers for announce

> > I see no Return-Path headers in some IETF traffic, including
> > <87znsvwlxa.fsf@snark.piermont.com> as it appears in my mailbox.
> > Instead I see an old UNIX-style From_.
>
> That's because Return-Path: is frequently added at final delivery. My
> MTA adds that, some other don't. (Many Unix MTAs use the From_ line).

Note that the ones that don't add return-path are in violation of
over 20+ years of mail specificatons.  See RFC 821 (top of page 22),
RFC 1123 (section 5.3.3 among others), and RFC 2821 (section 4.4).

However there's no guarantee that Return-Path is either consistent
for all messages sent to a list, nor that it is uniquely associated
with a list.  The few standards that apply to lists only require that
the return-path address serves the purpose of informing the list
maintainer (perhaps a robot) of nondelivery reports.

Keith