RE: Palladium (TCP/MS)

Good Morning  Valdis

> On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:37:44 BST, Sean Jones
> <sean.jones@micromedical.co.uk>  said:

> > Why is a PTR (or DNS) record with MS TCP different from the
> standard TCP/IP record?

> > (Perhaps it is me in my ignorance, or lack of understanding :o) )

> It's not different.  Or in any case, it's not sufficiently
> different to cause an interoperation problem in this case.

> The reference to RFC2821, section 10.2 was regarding the fact
> that having multiple PTR records for one address *IS* legal, despite
> widespread belief to the contrary.  The original point was that you'll need a
> router ACL to block a lot more than one address, and keep the list of
> addresses up to date.

> And anyhow, using a router block is a bad idea in this case.
> There's two cases - either you still have machines using that vendor's
> software, and you WANT them to reach the servers so they can update, or you
> don't have the software installed, in which case you don't really care if
> the server is reachable..
> --
> 				Valdis Kletnieks
> 				Computer Systems Senior Engineer
> 				Virginia Tech

I have been cogitating on this for a little while. (Especially as I didn't want to sound thick when replying)

Why would MS (or anyone for that matter) want multiple pointer records when one will suffice. My thoughts revolved around clustered servers, .net & etc In short the Microsoft-verse.

In reality it doesn't matter two hoots what MS do, they will still have to inter-operate with the rest of the Internet per se, unless you believe the scare mongering that with .Net MS want to make a corporate Internet which they control.

(If they did ever go that way, I'd be one of the first to join "Treehouse")

Thinking along a bit more, setting the routers shouldn't be a big issue, after all Cisco have been producing routers IPv6 capable for a fair while now, so surely they could incorporate multiple PTR records within the routers capability?

Regards

Sean Jones
A Boring old IT Manager for a SME