Re: TCP/IP Terms

At 08:19 PM 10/8/2002 -0400, John C Klensin wrote:
>I would suggest that this particular situation has almost
>nothing to do with the Miller result.  In particular, that
>hypothesis derives from work with short-term memory and the
>number of things one can keep track of at a time.

for serially related data, yes.  data that might be termed independent
contexts probably is down to one for each of the information bits that he
postulated, namely 3.  2 if you want to be safe.

At any rate, juggling a model, for doing real-time work -- like discussion
-- seems to involve short-term memory issues.  Hence the limit still seems
to apply.

>But this is getting very far afield from anything relevant to
>the  IETF or network modelling.

that was why I hadn't gone into citing Miller's paper, which is, by the
way, a really fun read.  It was published in the preeminant psych journal,
yet he open it with a discussion of his being stalked by a number...

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:dave@tribalwise.com>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850