RE: TCP/IP Terms

Bill,

> Bill Cunnigham wrote:
> When someone says to me 'datagram.' I don't know what level
> of TCP/IP they're talking about. It could be IP datagrams at
> Internet layer, or UDP datagrams at Transport layer. Datagram
> only defines a connectionless protocol according to rfc 1122.

This is a good point. IMHO, "datagram" could be:
[ISO layers]
- UDP datagram (transport layer)
- ICMP datagram (network layer)
- IP datagram = a network layer animal that contains data encapsulated
from a connectionless transport protocol such as UDP.
- I think that broadcasts would fall into the datagram category, too.

And:
- IP packet = a network layer animal that contains data encapsulated
from a connection-oriented transport protocol such as TCP.

That being said, I would think that "datagram" without the "UDP" before
it is a network layer animal because this is the way it is understood in
the ISO world.

> Now if someone says to me 'frame.' I think PPP first
> off, not necessarily Network layer, if that's where
> it is, rfc 1661 looks like it was written in accordance
> with the OSI model. I'm not sure of that one.

The problem is that, IMHO, there is no such thing as a TCP/IP layered
model. Even the number of layers seems to be floating between 4 and 5.
[here are the first matches searching google for "tcp/ip model"]

http://www.pku.edu.cn/academic/research/computer-center/tc/html/TC0102.h
tml
http://www.indianest.com/computing/networking/n003.htm
http://www2.themanualpage.org/networks/networks_tcpip.php3
http://www.8052.com/tcpip/
http://www.unm.edu/~network/presentations/course/chap2/sld018.htm
http://dast.nlanr.net/Training/DCWJuly99/kai_tcpip/sld005.htm

In any case, lots of definitions seem to agree on the lower layer
encompassing the data link and physical OSI layers. This might be a
problem trying to define "frame".

This is one of the reasons I stick to the OSI model, because it is more
precise. I even like the definition of the two sub-layers that form the
data link layer:

+---+----------------------------------+--------------------+
! 4 ! Transport                        ! Segment            !
+---+----------------------------------+--------------------+
! 3 ! Network                          ! Packet or Datagram !
+---+-----------+----------------------+--------------------+
!   !           ! Logical Link Control !                    !
! 2 + Data Link +----------------------+ Frame              !
!   !           ! Media Access Control !                    !
! 1 ! Physical                         ! Bit                !

When someone says "frame" to me, I think ESF, or SF, or 802.2, or
Ethernet_snap. And these do belong into the LLC sublayer. And frames
have nothing to do with access to the media (Token passing vs. CSMA/CD)
nor they have anything to do with Physical layer topics such as clock
frequency or wavelength.

Michel.