Re: MBone

Kevin C. Almeroth wrote:

>>>It's not quite that simple; multicast ought to be a great technology for
>>>conferencing, but there are problems that would inhibit its use even if
>>>it were widely deployed.
>>>

>Like?

Like the entire rest of my message.

>First, what are IETF-style apps?  Are you talking vic/vat?

Yes.

>The content
>sent from the IETF can be received with Real, Media Player, Quicktime,
>IPTV, vic/vat, etc.

Most of those are not multicast--and they certainly aren't conferencing.

>Also, there are plenty of (surviving) companies offering non-conferencing

I was talking about conferencing.

>>>but consider: once you start running a
>>>multicast session over the Internet, anybody who's within the TTL range
>>>can intercept it.
>>>
>Same with UDP traffic.  Same with TCP traffic.

No, those can be intercepted only by tricking the routers.  Multicast
specifically permits anyone to pick up the traffic just by asking for it.

--
|John Stracke      |jstracke@centivinc.com  |