Re: Fuzzy-layering and its suggestion

> Jason Gao wrote:
> > --- IPv6 flow label assignment
> >
> > Transport layer may set a 'control' bit in the IPv6 Traffic Class octet of the initiating packet
> > during the setup phase of a connection.
> >

> > The edge router inspects the control bit. If it is set, the edge router can further inspect the
> > packet, and reserve resource as required by the piggybacked resource reservation header in the
> > transport layer packet, allocate and/or assign a flow label to the expected connection, put the flow
> > label in the flow label field of the initiating acknowledgement packet.
>
> No. There is no such usage of the traffic class octet. See RFC 2474.
> Also, only the source host of a packet may set the flow label.
> See draft-ietf-ipv6-flow-label-03.txt
>
>    Brian

Well, both the draft and RFC 2474 are not the final standard. And both the traffic class octet and the flow label field are subject to further discuss. So I didn't mean to prove fuzzy-layering by the fields in IPv6 but instead tried to make some suggestions for the development of IPv6 in the QoS domain, according to the fuzzy-layering practices.

Anyway, thanks for the comment!

Jason