Re: on UCE: Possible Interest (fwd)

On Monday 19 August 2002 07:49 pm, Donald Eastlake 3rd wrote:
> If spam really isn't a problem, then the efforts involved in ultimately
> engineering a real solution, which in my opinion has to use economic
> forces, and the efforts involved in engineering easy user interfaces,
> will not be worth it.

How very true.  Until it becomes "economically" un-profitable to send spam,
it will continue to both be a problem - and a growing one...

> If spam really is a problem and is exponentially leading to email
> becoming unusable in most cases, then these engineering efforts are
> worth it and if the protocol aspects are not done in a standard manner,
> they will be done in proprietary ways.

True again....

<< cut>>
>  They wouldn't be able to subscribe
> to mailing lists (unless the mailing list operator went to a bunch of
> work and allowed people to pay for subscription to cover the delivery
> costs) but how bad is that?
<<cut>>

Actually I think you would see "lists" going to "web" based (html) which
would not require them to "send" anything through/to your servers/system.

> This is a complex space. I

Very true...

--
Larry Smith