RE: IETF announce list and spam filtering

At 12:08 AM 8/15/2002 -0700, Dan Kohn wrote:
>In defense of admins setting up SpamAssassin across a site, all
>SpamAssassin does is add a bunch of headers to the mail.  It's then up
>to the users to decide what threshold to filter on, if at all.

The nature of doing heuristic rulesets on naturally occurring text makes it
extremely difficult to do a good job.  My own view is that spamassassin is
remarkably effective.

At any rate, getting rulesets right is simply not a reasonable task for
admins.  Rule-writing is not admin.  Very different skillsets.

The only criticism of the code is that it understands a restricted set of
of RFC822 address format.  It ain't the first to do that.  Many user agents
do, too.

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:dave@tribalwise.com>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850