Re: IETF announce list and spam filtering

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 09:29:53AM -0700, Christian Huitema wrote:
> And here goes the baby with the bathwater: a lot of our Japanese
> colleagues send mail to IETF working groups with:
> This is a very natural set-up: they select "plain text" in their local
> mail software, and they type their messages in English. They should be
> fine, right? Well, not according to your rule. They would also have to
> go tweak the preferred charset, a much harder proposition. I guess the
> problem is the same from pretty much anyone who has to use a different
> alphabet than ASCII.

I didn't say I would automatically trash their messages.  Just that
the chances I would trash it is much, much, much higher.  In my
experience, the **vast** majority of the messages I receive with
Japenese, Chinese, and Korean charsets are SPAM.  If our Japanese,
Chinese, and Koreans colleages don't like that, then maybe they ought
to pass laws which prohibit SPAM from being originated in their
countries.....

> The real reason why the IETF should study the countermeasures is
> precisely that: it is damn easy to write spam filters that have many
> "false positives". We need careful engineering, not slash and burn
> tactics.

I wasn't describing an automated spam filter.  I was describing what
my figures have trained themselves to do, over multiple years of
receiving garbage in my e-mail.  It's only recently that I've started
using SpamAssassin, due to the increasing deluge of SPAM mail.  If
folks have better systems to propose, I'd be happy to look into using
them.

							- Ted