Re[2]: Why spam is a problem.

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:34:29 -0400 (EDT) "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin@law.miami.edu> wrote:
> > Another more insidious bowl of noodles is dealing with joe-jobs

> PS.  By "joe-jobs" do we mean any sending of spam purporting to be from a
> 3rd party victim?  Or just spam that genuinely promotes the victim's web
> site even though the victim/"beneficiary" had nothing to do with it?

the former. the original joe-job was directed at an isp named "joes.com",
whence comes he name "joe-job". the isp really ticked off a nasty spammer,
so the spammer deliberately and maliciously made a spam run with envelope
forged to look like it came from joes.com

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net