Re: IPR and I-D boilerplate

--On Monday, 01 July, 2002 13:55 -0700 Peter Deutsch
<pdeutsch@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> so if IETF wants to make old drafts publically available (and
>> I agree this could be a useful thing), it really should get
>> permission from the authors. or at least notify them and give
>> authors the chance to say "please do not make my old
>> documents publically accessible".
>
> If you really think this is practical, then you should contact
> the nices folks at Google and ask them to take down the Usenet
> archives, and perhaps look around at the various unofficial
> mailing archives that so many folks run today. First time I
> went to the Google archive I found postings I'd made in 1987
> are still floating around. It never occured to me that I could
> ask Google to stop sharing my misspent youth with the world...

It may be desirable that it not occur to you, but you probably
could do just that.  As I understand the copyright rules, and
the notice-and-takedown provisions, at least in the US, you
could presumably notify Google that they had duplicated and
posted your copyrighted material without your permission, that
you did not grant such permission, and that you insisted that
they take specific materials down.   And they would have little
choice other than to do so.

> Sorry, I don't see this as being reasonable *or* practical. If
> you work in private groups to develop private standards this
> might be reasonable, but the IETF works very hard to make
> their work publically accessible and one consequence of that
> is that folks have to accept that entering the process means
> everything you do is going to be "out there". Even if the IETF
> didn't run such an archive of mailing lists, etc other folks
> do, and have done so for a long time. All we're talking about
> here is simplifying things...

Peter, the instructions for I-D authors (see
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt) are, and have
always been, quite clear that it is possible to post an I-D with
the "option 3" clause, e.g., "This document is an Internet-Draft
and is NOT offered in accordance with Section 10 of RFC2026, and
the author does not provide the IETF with any rights other than
to publish as an Internet-Draft".  That provision involves no
transfer of copyright and no authorization to do anything beyond
the expiration date.  That seems pretty specific.  If you think
it unreasonable, I'd take it up with the IPR effort/BOF.

    john