Re: Global PKI on DNS?

Hi Steve -- Now we are beginning to connect with the real meta issue.

I am talking about "Trust Transitivity" in general.
We agree that the DNS offers no trust functions, useful or otherwise.
So, my focus is not on PKI as related to DNS, which is what you addressed here.

It the fundamental issue of trust transitivity in PKI.

I will concede that PKI is transitive in terms of "connectedness" as is DNS.
Both have relations of relatedness, but this does not confer
transitivity on trust.
Trust still has to be earned, not awarded, in any case.

I am questioning the validity of the widely held assumption that trust is
(or can be) transitive in PKI (or anywhere for that matter).

So, back to my basic question:

Is trust transitive anywhere under any conditions?

I question that it is, until someone proves that:

	"Trust is transitive somewhere/anywhere in real life";

and then prove that:

	"Trust is transitive in PKI Theory";

and then prove that:

	"Trust is transitive in PKI reality".

HINT:  It will help if you can refer to some Formal Logical Theory of TRUST.

First, forget PKI and forget DNS, and show that trust is transitive
somewhere under some describable conditions.  Then show that trust is
transitive in PKI.

I know that many people assume that Trust is transitive in PKI.
I am not asking about popular opinion here.
We need some formally logical facts.
If you have some, please show them to us.

Cheers...\Stef