Re: postings to ietf mailing lists

On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 01:15 , Bill Strahm wrote:

> Can't say about other maillist software, but the software that runs the
> @ietf.org lists allows this, you can subscribe from as many addresses as
> you want, and only get mail sent to a single address...

Hi,

	Someone here should at least mention that the IETF Secretariat
is generally willing to host official IETF WG mailing lists @ietf.org.
This was implied by the quoted text above, but isn't explicitly
documented
anyplace I can find.  An increasing number of WGs are hosting lists
there.

	I don't know the Secretariat's processes, but if some WG Chair wanted
an official IETF WG list to live @ietf.org, the logical first step would
be
a gentle enquiry with the IETF Secretariat.

	Last comment is that, after some discussion among IAB + IESG about
IETF mailing lists last Summer, I wrote up a strawman draft on "IETF
Mailing List Customs".   My understanding is that Jim Galvin is the
current document editor for that, though I'm not sure because I'm
not tracking that item closely these days.  (No point asking me for
a copy of the strawman, because I no longer have a copy).

	<opinion> I do think we ought to at least document current
IETF mailing list practices in a BCP RFC. </opinion>

Cheers,

Ran
rja@extremenetworks.com