Re: IPR at IETF 54

On Thu, 30 May 2002, RJ Atkinson wrote:

> On Thursday, May 30, 2002, at 09:48 , Melinda Shore wrote:
> > Here's one for starters: there's no guidance on how or whether to
> > treat differences in licensing terms for competing proposals.  It
> > would be nice to be able to say that all other things being more-or-
> > less equal we should prefer technology which will be available
> > royalty-free,
>
> 	Agree.
>
> 	My druthers would be to have an IETF policy explicitly saying that
> the first
> choice is to use unencumbered technology if it can be made to work,
> second choice
> is encumbered but royalty-free technology, and last choice is "fair and
> reasonable
> licence terms" (or whatever the equivalent correct legal wording might be
> for that last).
>
> 	And it would be good to have a conventional template for the
> royalty-free
> licence -- one that the IETF's legal counsel has reviewed and believes
> is acceptable
> for IETF purposes.
I disagree with this, I don't think the IETF can afford to keep a staff of
lawyers working on determining the licencing statements of all of the
standards being churned out.

That said, I don't think it would do any good anyway, lets say the IETF
lawyer gives his Okey Dokie, then my company implements the standard and a
problem with the licencing terms comes up... Who do I go sue, the IETF ???

I hope not, but that could be creating a legal liability for the IETF if
its lawyers make statements on the licencing terms of protocols...

Bill