Re: IPR at IETF 54

Marshall Rose wrote:

 > working groups make trade-offs all the time between simplicity,
 > functionality, and so on. licensing is another cost. given the amount
 > of traffic on this topic, it appears that licensing is a very heavy
 > cost. this may provide an answer to your question...

Unfortunately, while we can compare proposals based on their complexity,
maybe even performance or overhead, there is, in reality, usually no way
to compare the actual licensing costs at the time a decision is made. At
least as far as I know, none of the non-free licensing statements on the
IETF web site contain any information on these terms, beyond vague
generalities. "Reasonable" is hardly a term with engineering precision.