RE: IPR Re: IETF 54 calendar (fwd)

Marshall Rose wrote:
> > As I recall, RAND was explicitly selected over RF because
> there are and
> > will be technologies that are interesting to incorporate in a
> > system-wide standard approach, and forcing RF terms would
> automatically
> > exclude those. There is enough of a bias in the
> participants toward RF
> > when available, that explicit language requiring it adds no
> value and in
> > some cases actually subtracts value from the process of achieving
> > consensus.
> >
> > If what you are asking for is that for every proposal / i-d
> that shows
> > up in the IETF, the IPR holder is automatically required to
> provide an
> > RF license, you really don't understand the reason people
> bother with
> > patents to begin with.
>
> tony - i don't find your last paragraph to be particularly
> "helpful".  a reasoned argument can be made that patents and
> community standards are incompatible.  a rigorous study of
> the US patent system indicates that the founders introduced
> the system in order to serve the public good, by encouraging
> innovation, by granting limited monopolies on inventions. it
> is unclear if that system is particularly compatible with
> community-based approaches such as the IETF where, by
> definition, the output is not monopolized.

Clearly from the responses I didn't make my point in that last
paragraph. The original note mentioned VRRP specifically, and in that
case the IPR holder didn't bring the proposal to the IETF. The way I
read that note, the Free Software community believes that the IPR holder
should be required to provide RF terms when someone proposes a similar
technology for standardization.

> with respect to your first paragraph, i note that if
> technology companies see value in participating in the
> standards process, then perhaps it is not unreasonable to
> suggest that the IETF consider only RF stuff, and then let
> the various IPR stakeholders decide whether the trade-off is
> worth it... in other words, if someone has some whizbang
> technology, and if they want the imprimatur of a community
> such as the IETF, then they can decide for themselves whether
> to RF it. if not, they are perfectly free to pursue a
> proprietary market strategy.

In general I agree for the case where the IPR holder brings the
technology for standardization. In the case where a proposal shows up
which the group thinks is technically the right direction, but a 3rd
party holds IPR, we can't require RF, but can require the WG demonstrate
that RAND is functional.

> for myself, i take no position on the merits of the two kinds
> of licensing; rather, i merely note that the issue is
> somewhat more subtle than first glance.

Subtle enough that a quick paragraph is easily misread. :)

Tony