Re: IP over MPEG-2 Transport

"John Stracke" <jstracke@incentivesystems.com> writes:
> >This email describes a discussion list which will develop a framework
> >for efficient transport of IPv4 and IPv6 Datagrams over ISO MPEG-2
> >Transport Streams (TS).
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to transmit MPEG over IP? Then you get the
> benefit of running everywhere IP does, instead of having to come up with
> your own standards for the data layer.

The way that IP has been "winning" is to find ways of carrying it
*everywhere*. There are already many links around the world set up
that carry MPEG-2 TS (in fact, I would not be terribly surprised if
the number of bps worldwide of MPEG-2 TS exceeds that of voice, and
possibly even of "IP over 'normal' WAN transport".

If we can leverage those existing links, and get IP into them,
eventually the IP will become a "must have" feature, and then
eventually the link configuration will be re-engineered and
"inverted", with IP taking it's rightful place at the "true" layer 3.

--
Mark Atwood   | Well done is better than well said.
mra@pobox.com |