Re: How many standards or protocols...

> The problem James is that this is just not the case. What is the case is
> that each WG Chair gets to decide what concensus is for their WG and that
is
> wrong.

I dont see whats wrong with each wg chairs determine what is the consensus.
(Note: I use the word "determine" not "decide"). In fact, that is part of
the job description for a wg chair.

> The problem with the operations is that the rules change form group
> to group and this has serious technical and financial implications for
> anyone trying to mount a standards effort as part of a product release or
> market development activity.

Product release and market development activity are out-of-scope for IETF.

If the working group considered them as a factor, then it is up to the
*group* to decide. The chairs dont play a role here other then declaring
what the rough consensus is, regardless what that decision is.

I have a feeling you should be looking at some other industry consortium
instead.

-James Seng

> Todd

That