Re: Last Call: IETF and ITU-T Collaboration Guidelines toInformational

On 3/5/02 at 1:22 PM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:

>  > 3.2.2 ITU-T recognition at ISOC/IETF
>>
>>     ITU-T Study Group Chairmen can authorize one or more members to
>>     attend an IETF meeting as an official ITU-T delegate speaking
>>     authoritatively on behalf of the Study Group (or a particular
>  >    Rapporteur Group).
>
>I think it needs to be explicitly said that the opinions stated by
>such representatives are for information of the WG only and are not
>considered in determining WG consensus.

I agree. The purpose of the liaison should be to keep the IETF
informed about the goings-on of the ITU. Insofar as the actions of
any other standards or commercial organization might have a
significant impact on the decisions of the working group (e.g.,
knowledge that a particular company has IPR, or that another
standards organization is deploying something that would conflict
with a WG proposal), having an official representative of the ITU
bring that information is fine. That's very much the same as when an
area director, with their "area director hat" on, gives a WG guidance
like, "The IESG is not going to let that document through without
mentioning security". However, like the AD, the ITU delegate should
have no more weight on consensus decisions than anyone else in the
working group.

I'm very much with Keith that this needs to be spelled out in this section.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick@qualcomm.com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102