RE: PPP

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, TOMSON ERIC wrote:

> My answer tried to respect the same basic level as Bill's question's.
> That's my job, teaching LAN & WAN technologies (and Datacom in general).
> My humble experience led me to teach such matters in different steps.
> First you teach ABC, then you teach grammar, then you can teach literature.
> Trying to teach literature without preparation can create confusion.

Tell them lies, because they can't handle the truth? Gah, I am
reminded of why I quit studying physics.

> Sorry if I shocked you with such a basic view on PPP compared to OSI and TCP/IP.
> [May I recommend 2 basic books? "A World of Protocols" and "Computer Networks"...]

If the latter is Tanenbaum, the second edition was a good introduction
to abstract networking concepts and their uses, but later editions
have just gone downhill with internet buzzworditis.

> One can read that PPP is a suite - a combination of several protocols.
> Among them : BCP, CHAP, LCP, MLP, PAP, PPPoE,... But seriously, does Bill care?

he cared enough to ask the question.

L.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>