Re: Proprietary IP Protocol Type

Those of us who have been doing this for a while sometimes forget that
there are things that are not obvious to those just joining us.

Protocol number assignments are at
http://www.iana.org/numbers.html.  Application procedures are at
www.iana.org.   IP Protocol numbers are at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/protocol-numbers

To answer the first question - for proprietary protocols, don't apply for
your own number, use one of the already registered "any *"
protocols.  E.g.  9 - IGP - Any private interior gateway protocol, 61 - any
host internal protocol.  You should build sufficient robustness into your
protocol to ignore other private protocols of the same type - e.g. a magic
number in the payload, or Joe's recommendation of a private checksum algorithm.

Topic closed....

Mike