Re: utility of dynamic DNS

> I would offer that we select the "thing" that looks the most persistent
> to be the persistent identity.

Actually, you want to select the identity  that's appropriate for your
purpose.  DNS is not inherently better than IP for all purposes.
DNS names are often failure-prone, slow to lookup, and/or out of
sync with reality.

> If the choices are: DNS name vs IP address, I think most people would
> recognize that the DNS name is the persistent identity.

And if 'most people' treated this as a general rule, they'd be wrong.
There are several situations where IP addresses are more usable
than DNS - the DNS name may not even exist, lookups may not work
outside of a realm, or the name may be bound to an IP address rather
than a host.  It is highly dependent on the configuration of the network
where the hosts are located and the DNS servers that serve them.

See draft-moore-nat-tolerance-recommendations-00 for a more detailed
explanation.

> We should probably try to move the debate from "proof by emphatic
> assertion" to analysis.

Presumably that also applies to assertions about persistence of DNS names.

Keith