RE: Dynamic DNS - The dark side III

Dan Kolis wrote:
> Well, this makes me feel better and there is certainly a lot of good
> thinking in the above. I wonder, though since I know almost
> nothing about
> IPNG whether maybe its handled there better.

DNS is orthogonal to IPv6, but absolutely required to avoid having to
type addresses that look like::  1234:5678:9abc:def0:1234:5678:9abc:def0
It does seem a bit strange that you are working on a new residential
gateway, but haven't looked at IPv6... ;)

> It seems to me for troubleshooting, its awefully handy to
> think of the DNS
> as more or less static. If the connection that used to be
> somebody's WWW
> pointing to there childrens playground is instead the
> sex-with-goats hotline
> for 20 minutes, its harder to troubleshoot if everything is dynamic.

Granted, and one of the advantages of IPv6 is that the ISP *could*
choose to statically allocate a prefix to a customer. The mindset for
doing that today is hard to get across, since everyone is in strong
conservation mode, but it has been shown there are enough /48's in the
current PA prefix space to allocate half-a-dozen to everyone that is
expected to be alive 70 years from now, so statically allocating one to
a household in the short term should not be as big a deal as some are
making it out to be.

> I'm arguing both sides clearly becuase it a subtle tradeoff.
> The scalability
> thing is a good point.
>
> In my implementation, every house it going to have a WWW
> server, some with
> fixed Ip's some just pointed to by a corperate resource, some an
> intentionally obscure port and (maybe dynamic) DHCP assigned IP, etc.

Just make sure you put IPv6 support in it, and don't preclude the
concept of a game-console behind it registering for peer-to-peer gaming.

> I think TOny is perceiving the DNS process as just another
> service, not a
> framework per se.

DNS is a service, just like forwarding packets is a service. There are
technical components that have to be right for the service to work, but
there is no reason those components have to be as complex as they are
today.

> But with the name resolution Internet board, etc, it has a quasi-legal
> status already.
>
> I guess among other things I don't quite get is why if an ISP
> buys an IP for
> $0.35 they rerent if for ten times that, per month.

Simply because they can, due to the scarceness of the resource.
Fortunately with IPv6, there is no address scarcity.