Re: utility of dynamic DNS

Theodore Tso wrote:

> With Mobile IP, the security model seems to be (in order to avoid
> triangle routing), that I need to a secure messages to arbitrary
> machines in the Internet, who then need to somehow magically know that
> I am the person authorized to redirect traffic for 216.175.175.175 to
> some other arbitrary point in the Internet.  (Amazon.com, buy.com,
> yahoo.com, ietf.org, etc., etc., etc., etc. all needs to know that the
> distinguished name in my X.509 certificate is authorized to speak for
> 216.175.175.175, and can redirect packets sent to that host to
> far-flung places in the world like to Australia or Finland.  Yeah,
> right.)

Actually, we hope to get it to work without requiring X.509.

I wonder what someone 30 years ago would have thought about the
statement "I can get my data to go anywhere in the world.  All
I need is to have the IP address of the destination and some
knowledgeable routers that I don't even know about will magically
redirect my packets to that address, without me even knowing where
it is."

Sure, that's different than Mobile IP -- I can hear the objection already!
But the main difference is that you already believe that IP routing
can work.  I also believe that IP redirection can work, and a lot
faster than DNS resolution redirection can work -- or, any other
application-oriented approach.

> One is deployable (modulo a few minor bugs in the HOWTO document,
> which I've been meaning to find time to write up and report, really I
> have), and I've currently got it set up and working on my laptop
> today.  The other, is as near as I can tell, completely and totally
> hopeless as far as being practical or deployable.

The approach you favor would require resolution via DNS after
every movement.  That's going to be a disaster for smooth handovers,
I reckon.

Regards,
Charlie P.