Re: PPP

At 08:38 AM 2/28/2002, you wrote:
>On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>
> > In what layer is PPP in the TCP/IP suite?
>
>It's _everywhere_.
>
>What started out as a roughly HDLC-equivalent framing encap for IP
>with a checksum, intended for point-to-point links, has become deeply
>embedded in network stacks for e.g. mobile operators, tied in with
>AAA... anything PPP over L2TP (over UDP) over IP...
>
>As the protocol that can tunnel everything (not just IP) over
>everything, PPP forms the new waists in the overblown multi-tiered
>hourglasses. PPP is the ubiquitous encapsulation that mpls or AAL5
>always wanted to be.

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

>L.
>
>is waiting for someone to notice that ubiquitous PPP means that
>multicast is doomed. Oh, and PPPoE dooms broadcast, too.

It is ugly, isn't it.  But in a world where it is much easier to
authenticate and account for a circuit instead of a bunch of random
datagrams, are you surprised?

I must admit, we all laughed when Karl Fox indicated that he had
implemented PPP over TELNET back in 1993 or so.  We thought it a hilarious
joke.  I guess my blood should have run cold back then.

And to think that, the reason for PPP was a response to the limitations
of  SLIP and, oh by the way, we can use it to encapsulate IP over T1 lines
between dissimilar routers.

Brian Lloyd
brian@lloyd.com
+1.530.676.1113 - voice