Re: revised sender RTT estimate draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-rtt-option-00.txt - result when negotiation fails

Hi Eddie,

I am sorry if my previous email has offended you, that was certainly not
my intention.

I think that neither I nor you are right here -- it is not as easy as
saying, "basta, we leave it like that, end of story".

Your suggestion of treating this issue separately is a good point. Since
whether allowing options to appear without negotiating a corresponding feature
seems to be more of a case-by-case issue:

 * in an earlier email you mentioned an RFC where apparently sending options
   before completing feature negotiation is helpful;
 * there are other cases where both allowing and disallowing gets in the way,
   as in the Sender RTT Estimate case: it is like having two oscillators but
   a CPU can be clocked only by one;
 * this may also shed light on which options are truly "optional", i.e. not
   essential to the operation of DCCP.

I don't mind to do the extra work of coming up with a list, but that can only
be a starting point.

With regards to the draft, the 'MAY' has become an unnecessary stumbling
block. Is it an agreeable compromise to completely leave this sentence out,
i.e. no more MUST NOT, but at the same time no guidance when using the option
in an unspecified way?

That is the state of the discussions with Gorry, but apparently I did not
formulate this very well in the emails.

And perhaps I misunderstood your minimal necessary specification:

 "The minimal necessary specification would be

    When the Send RTT Estimate Feature is disabled, the receiver MUST
    estimate the RTT as previously specified in RFC4340/4342/5622."

If we can leave out the MUST NOT part, then "less is more". Would that
be ok?

Gerrit

Quoting Eddie Kohler: