Re: UDP encaps for SCTP and SCCP

Hi Lars,

I vote for (1), SCTP-specific and DCCP-specific UDP encaps.

Although those specific encaps could be very similar, or in fact identical at first, there are enough protocol differences to recommend planning ahead for potential divergence.

At minimum there could be two documents that allocate different well-known UDP ports for SCTP-in-IP-in-UDP encapsulation and DCCP-in-IP-in-UDP encapsulation (which if I understand correctly is the "simple UDP tunnel" Lloyd prefers). I would prefer this to GUT, which chooses to expend header space rather than port space.

FWIW, my preferred form of tunneling for DCCP would be DCCP-in-UDP encapsulation. The DCCP header would be unchanged, except for the pseudoheader used for checksumming. This pseudoheader would have source and destination addresses all zero; the padded IP protocol number for DCCP; and the padded DCCP length. I believe this would suffice to pass current NAPTs, which won't modify the encapsulated DCCP ports. The UDP header checksum could be 0 or not; if nonzero, the DCCP checksum could I suppose be ignored, but I don't feel strongly. UDP-Lite could be used or not; I would hope the port number would be the same either way.

Eddie