Re: UDP encaps for SCTP and SCCP

Hi Lars,

Well, I like option 1.

I feel that option 2 is a chimera.  The 'G' in the GUT proposal stands
for "generic", but it is not entirely generic.  The decapsulation stage
is specific to the encapsulated protocol.  The GUT draft gives one decap
rule that is more-or-less suitable for TCP and DCCP.  It doesn't work
for SCTP.

You have to look in detail at the encapsulated protocols to see if a
proposed decap works.  With my non-detail understanding of TCP, it looks
like it works, but we'll need someone to look at that in detail.

For DCCP, the proposed decap makes partial checksums ineffective.  I
think it's OK to do that, but you need to state that explicitly in the
draft, and probably offer guidance on how to deal with partial checksum
feature negotiation.  You also need to deal with how to signal the use
of UDP encap, and the other things included in my draft.  Once you've
done that, you have my draft.

GUT has similar issues for SCTP.  SCTP uses a CRC checksum that doesn't
include the IP addresses, so the proposed GUT decap doesn't work for it.
What's needed is actually easier to do.  I don't know enough about SCTP
to know what else needs to be done.

As I've stated before, if you really think through a generic approach,
it becomes an overall scheme that can be used by all protocols, plus a
set of protocol-specific adaptations.  That's where we're at with the
DCCP- and SCTP-specific drafts.

Tom P.

draft-ietf-dccp-udpencap).

> > The second approach proposes a generic encapsulation scheme that can
be
> applied to both SCTP and DCCP (draft-manner-tsvwg-gut).
> >
> > As a community, we do need to come to consensus on which of these
two
> approaches we want to follow when it comes to UDP encapsulation of
SCTP