Re: UDP encaps for SCTP and DCCP -- why not just tunnel it?

Hi Tom P.

The premise that there is a value for the application in using SCTP
and/or DDCP, even when encapsulated in UDP is essential - without that
premise, using UDP instead of SCTP or DDCP makes more sense.

Putting my concerns aside, I will try to be helpful to the thread by
going back to the original question that started it.

The 3 drafts seem to me, that while trying to basically resolve the same
problem, each of them
provides some differentiation with its own merits, which indicates the
preferences that implementers
may have.

In my opinion, the 3 mechanisms could be each standard on their own - a
precedent exist, if one looks at IP tunneling.

Having a subset of DDCP, to use with UDP has its merits, it has value
IMO in becoming a standard.

The UDP encapsulation of SCTP, just inserting a UDP header, and using
the same IP header, can be extended with encapsulating DDCP, and become
a "simple UDP encapsulation".

GUT, as "generic UDP encapsulation", provides some additional
functionality to "simple UDP encapsulation", and that has a value of its
own.

Regards,
Alex Conta