Re: UDP encaps for SCTP and SCCP

IMHO, what should drive the use or no use of UDP is "the need and use of
UDP functons", rather then "the need to make the SCTP and SCCP more
popular because of using a popular transport". Perhaps I am not reading
right the motivation, but I somehow get that frm the thread - sorry...

Which is to say that I agree with Fred's concern 100% about duplications
of functions.

I would perhaps even go a little further, if the counter-argument is
that with "UDP lite", there is a minimization of duplication, and that
is:

my concern would be that besides the dupplication, there is some
additional burden in processing a packet that has mutliple header
layers, when passing the packet from one layer to the other. It's not
much, but there is, and can add-up - there are the little things that,
when in larhe numbers, contribute to a considerable load.
If that can be eliminated, I see it as a plus...

Alex Conta

http://www.ipinc.net/IPv4.GIF