Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-dccp-udpencap-00.txt

Hi Pasi,

See inline...

Tom P.

[Tom P.] The purpose of short sequence numbers in DCCP-STD is to reduce
header length.  Supporting short sequence numbers in DCCP-UDP doesn't
reduce the header size.  The purpose of long sequence numbers in
DCCP-STD is to reduce the probability of a blind attacker correctly
guessing the sequence numbers in use.

So in my view short sequence numbers are more of a bug than a feature,
and not supporting them in DCCP-UDP is the better solution.

> Section 3.3.1: I'm not very fond of the idea of fiddling with the
> UDP length field to implement partial checksum logic, and would rather
> leave the UDP protocol untouched. I guess my take on the checksum
> calculation would be just to do something simple, even if it would
> mean that partial checksums were not supported with UDP encapsulation.

[Tom P.] I could be convinced to remove support for partial checksums,
but I'd like to see more discussion.  My original version of DCCP-UDP
didn't support partial checksums and this was added as a result of
comments on the original version.

> Section 3.5: I think the draft needs to say more than this about Path
> MTU discovery, starting from reminding about the basic fact that use
> of UDP reduces the MTU available to DCCP. Also, I'm not sure how/if
> PMTU discovery would work in this case. The ICMP Packet Too Big
> would be routed to UDP, and UDP would need to pass this
> information over to DCCP somehow (which could be a problem if UDP is
> in the OS and DCCP is in the user space)

[Tom P.] Yes, I can see the need for more discussion of this.

> And couple of nits:
>
> Section 3 says "The basic approach here is to insert a UDP ([RFC0768])
> "shim" layer between the IP header and a DCCP packet" -- Is this
> really a "shim" layer? It adds a full protocol header between IP and
> DCCP, as visible on the wire?

[Tom P.] I'll try to think of a better term for this.

> How about changing the name of DCCP-NAT to DCCP-UDP? This is not
> explicitly a NAT
> interaction mechanism, even though NATs are the major motivation.

[Tom P.] OK