Re: Soliciting input on UDP encapsulation for DCCP

Everyone,

Many thanks for your comments and discussion and apologies for the delay in coming back to this!

I think a fair summary is that people who commented would support UDP encapsulation for DCCP (and other middlebox-challenged transports), but whether that should be hosted in TSVWG or here, and whether it is better to aim for a common solution or do separate (but closely aligned) drafts for different transport protocols needs to be thought out. Note that there was discussion about the feasibility of a common solution already in the Hiroshima meeting, in the TSVAREA session.

I take the feedback as a positive indication to continue the work on dccp-natencap, but I think we should not take DCCP WG action just yet, before getting clarity on the above questions. One possible way forward would be this: the authors continue working on the DCCP and SCTP encapsulations as separate drafts, but aiming to converge between them as much as possible. For the DCCP draft, I think we got some useful feedback for Tom to work on a revision. The two encapsulation drafts could be discussed in the Anaheim IETF side by side (possibly in the TSVWG meeting), for deciding about the next steps. Please let me know if you don't like this plan.

- Pasi