Re: Soliciting input on UDP encapsulation for DCCP

Hi Michael (Tüxen this time, not Welzl :-)),

Thanks for the comments too.  See inline...

Tom P.

[snipped]
> > Yes, absolutely, and
> I agree with Michael. Not only for NAT traversal, but if you want to run
> DCCP on
> nodes which do not support it in the OS and you can not open a raw socket.
> This is at least an experience from running SCTP on the
> iPhone/iPodTouch...

[Tom P.] Yes, this is a useful side-effect of the encapsulation.  I know that some people feel that the only place transport protocols should be implemented is in the kernel, but, as I said in a previous meeting, nowadays the net effect of that is to make Microsoft the gatekeeper for deploying new transport protocols.  I don't think we want that.