Re: [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-welzl-multfrc-01]

Hi Michael,

I am not sure if it is right time to give you this feedback, but just
in case if it helps. So, here goes another comments about this draft.

Overall, IMHO, it looks like a nice idea if we could have an option to
emulate multiple TFRC flows for a single application without causing
any harm to other services. However, as Gorry mentioned earlier, I am
not sure (yet) what kind of applications can be benefit out of mulTFRC
- the application section (Section 3.1) doesn't look so clear.

1) I didn't properly understand how you have derived the equation in
the draft, mostly in Section 2.1 except the well-known TCP throughput
equation. So to speak, I understood the point of limiting N to 6 as
described in Section 3.2., but I didn't understand where the number
"12" came from at the equation in Section 2.1 (where the 'af' variable
is determined). Similarly, the rest of the temporary floating variable
calculations, I didn't quite understand. Would it be possible to
include a reference if you have a reason not to explain the detailed
explanation?

2) In Section 2.1., you have used RFC 2988 to calculate RTO. It is
well known that this method is more accurate when calculating RTO than
the one used in the original TFRC draft (RFC5348). To be able to use
the method in RFC 2988, it has to be a sender-driven congestion
control mechanisms, because it is hard to measure RTT variance for a
receiver-driven mechanism. As we know, TFRC is a receiver-driven CC,
hence it had to approximate the RTT measurement process, and couldn't
directly apply the method described in RFC 2988. I presume that
mulTFRC is also a receiver-driven mechanism. Then, how did you apply
RTO calculation mechanism (RFC 2988) to mulTFRC? Also, do you measure
RTT/RTO per flow? It would be nice if you could describe RTT/RTO
measurement process(es) in more detail.

3) Maybe, this could be a typo, or I misunderstood something. I think
the equations in Section 2.3 have some typos. Please ignore me if I'm
wrong - these are mainly about indexes. The first algorithm in Section
2.3., I think (w_i) should be read w_(i-1) in the "Else" statement.
Likewise, the index (i = 0 to k-1) at "for" statement in "If"
statement should be read (i = 1 to (k-1)).

I will get back to you again as I come up with more feedback.

Cheers,
Soo-Hyun