Re: draft-phelan-dccp-natencap-02

Tom,

On 31 Oct 2008, at 17:45, Phelan, Tom wrote:
I've submitted draft-phelan-dccp-natencap-02. You can get the text from
http://www.phelan-4.com/dccp/draft-phelan-dccp-natencap-02.txt and a
diff-marked version from
http://www.phelan-4.com/dccp/draft-phelan-dccp-natencap-02-diffs.pdf.

The main change is to update RTP over DCCP to add SDP to indicate the
type of DCCP encapsulation to use.  Feedback appreciated :-).

In section 3.6, it states that an application SHOULD NOT register different service codes and port for different combinations of encapsulation and IP version. Since there is no guidance on when it's appropriate to deviate from this advice, may I suggest the text should say MUST NOT instead?

Section 4 hints that the encapsulation of a higher-layer protocol with DCCP may differ between DCCP-RAW and DCCP-NAT. That seems undesirable to me - is there a use case for this? If not, I suggest the text be updated to be "MUST be the same".

Section 5 suggests an SDP attribute to signal the use of DCCP-NAT. It's not clear why this is needed. I'd expect the operating system to try both native and UDP-encapsulated connections in parallel for the DCCP-INIT, and use that which works, rather than applications be aware of the encapsulation. Wouldn't any choice be a matter of policy for the OS, not the application?

Cheers,
--
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/