Re: dccp-natencap and port numbers

Hi Bryan,

OK, I see that line of reasoning.  However, that means that the current
version of denis-udp-transport barely scratches the surface of the
subject.  The backward compatibility issues are large, and if we ignore
them then we're guilty of the same sort of thing that got us into this
situation in the first place.

It seems to me that denis-udp-transport needs to include the reasoning
below, needs to define the Meta-SYN packet, needs to specify a generic
mechanism for applications to do the transport disambiguation, needs to
specify generic mechanisms for signaling the UDP-encap transports and
needs to specify how a few existing applications apply those generic
mechanisms (SIP most importantly -- that already has widespread use of
UDP, TCP and SCTP transports, simultaneously offered on many servers).

Are you guys up for that much work?

More inline...

Tom P.

[Tom P] Sort of.  In many current cases that use multiple transports,
the transport selection is done via a signaling application that
communicates that and many other things -- think SIP/SDP or DNS SRV
records or a combination.

> If the application has only one port number, however (its assigned UDP
> port), and multiplexes all of the transports it supports atop that,
> then the application gets to control how it negotiates and
> distinguishes among those transport protocols.  One thing it can do
> (just an example, not a prescription) is first to ask each of the
> transports it supports for a copy of the transport's SYN packet,
> bundle all those SYN packets into one "Meta-SYN" packet to send to the
> responder.  The responding application receives this Meta-SYN bundle,
> picks out the SYN packet for the most preferred transport that it
> supports, and passes it to the transport locally to start the
> connection initiation.  The selected transport responds, and
> communication proceeds using that transport with no unnecessary round-
> trip delays and no unnecessary state built up for transports that
> didn't actually get chosen.

[Tom P] This is good, but it isn't as simple as bundling the various
"SYN" packets.  Does the order imply a preference?  Even if the there's
no implied preference, it has to be specified as such.  If there is a
preference, whose preference matters more (client or server)?  How is
retransmission handled?  Each transport has slightly different rules.
There are probably other issues.

> The main point, though, is that distinguishing and selecting between
> multiple transports should be up to the application.  The IETF already
> wisely decided to stop assigning multiple port numbers for "SSL" and
> "non-SSL" versions, instead requiring that applications negotiate such
> matters themselves on top of their (single) port allocation.  I'm just
> saying that the same logic applies equally well to transports
> themselves.

[Tom P] OK for TLS, as that's an above-the-transport-layer thing, but
this is all transport layer.  It's really up to the transport layer to
decide which transport is being requested -- after all, it's not
necessarily so that a given port is the same application for all
transports, so it really can't be left completely to the application
layer.

> > The problem gets worse with the recent IANA decision, due to
depletion
> > of the port space, to allocate ports independently for each
transport.
> > With this you can get a port that's a different application for each
> > transport.  This can exist even when the ports are nominally
allocated
> > to the same application although it's less apparent.  There are
> > situations where the port is allocated to one application for UDP
and
> > TCP, but the two transports provide different functions.  Often the
> > UDP
> > port provides a discovery/registration service and the TCP port
> > provides
> > a data transfer service.
> >
> > As far as I can see, draft-denis-udp-transport offers no remedy to
> > this.
> > The "Meta-SYN" idea you discussed in tsvarea has possibilities.  It
> > could allow sharing a port between TCP/SCTP/DCCP but would rely on
> > having no existing UDP application that uses that port.  For a
trivial
> > example, discard is defined as port 9 for all of the transport
> > protocols.  Even with a Meta-SYN, a listener wouldn't be able to
> > determine if the client meant plain-old-UDP or fancy-new-udp-encap.
>
> For an existing application that doesn't yet have a UDP port
> allocation (or does but doesn't yet use it), there's no problem since
> it can define whatever mechanism is needed to negotiate/differentiate
> the different transports it wants to run on that UDP port.  If the
> application already has an existing UDP port allocation and uses it,
> then we have to look at the existing "application-over-UDP" protocol
> spec and find a way (necessarily specific to that application
> protocol) to build a protocol spec for "application-over-<transport>-
> over-UDP" such that the latter spec's packets won't be confused with
> those of the former.  For example, if we for some reason wanted to do
> DNS over TCP/SCTP/DCCP over UDP, then we would have to look at the
> regular DNS over UDP spec and come up with some (ideally short) header
> format to interpose between the UDP header and the TCP/SCTP/DCCP
> header such that the resulting UDP packets will never be confused with
> regular DNS over UDP packets.  It's a bit ugly and unfortunate that
> it's specific to the application protocol, but legacy compatibility
> hacks unavoidably tend to have those problems in any case.

[Tom P] You say "we" here.  I'm taking that as the small "we" who are
writing udp-transport, not the big "we" of the entire IETF, at least for
the very popular existing applications such as SIP.