Re: WGLC for draft-ietf-dccp-simul-open-05

Hi,

I have reviewed the document and have two comments. Otherwise the
documents looks okay and should be published.

1. Section 2.2.3:

If one makes a comparison here with STUN connectivity checks under ICE
we are missing an optimization here. That is the triggered DCCP-Request.
Before the client has received a DCCP-Listen or a regular response it
doesn't know that the path is open. Thus if one resent the request upon
receiving the Listen one knows that it can get through. A previously
sent request may have gotten through, but the client doesn't know that
until much later. So the question here is: Is this speedup of the
connection worth it? Is it congestion safe enough? I also assume this
will not create issues in the DCCP state machine.

The case this optimize is the following which isn't enumerated in the draft:

        DCCP A                                         DCCP B
          ------               NA      NB                ------
          +------------------+  +-+    +-+  +-----------------+
          |(1) Initiation    |  | |    | |  |                 |
          |DCCP-Request -->  +--+-+---X+ +  |                 |
          |                  |<-|-|----+-+--+<-- DCCP-Listen  |
          |DCCP-Request -->  +--+-+----+-+->|                 |
          |(Triggered)       | <+-+----+-+--+<-- DCCP-Response|
          |DCCP-Ack -->      +--+-+----+-+> |                 |
          |                  |  | |    | |  |                 |
          |(2) Data transfer |  | |    | |  |                 |
          |DCCP-Data -->     +--+-+----+-+> |                 |
          +------------------+  +-+    +-+  +-----------------+

Considering that the initial retransmission timer for DCCP-Request
messages are on the order of 0.5 to 1 seconds I think this could
substantially speed up session establishment in these cases.

2. Figure 5:

I think this figure might be a bit confusing or rather unclear on what
happens with the DCCP-Listen messages. For the DCCP-Listen messages to
arrive at DCCP-A the NA needs to have a binding (NAT) or opened pinhole
(FW) that is a result of traffic from DCCP-A on A's source port. If NA
is a NAT then some procedure to create that binding and learn the
external address and port will have to happened. If NA is a Firewall
then DCCP-A can still send that SDP to DCCP-B with its source address
and port and the traffic will be dropped by NA. Can you please document
the assumptions that result in the DCCP-Listen packets to reach the
DCCP-A instead of being dropped at NA.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Färögatan 6                | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: magnus.westerlund@xxxxxxxxxxxx