Re: WGLC: draft-ietf-behave-dccp-01

Hi Remi,

Here are some comments.

Tom P.

Section 4.3:

"o  The filtering behavior for DCCP MAY be independent of the filtering
behavior for UDP."

Shouldn't that be "for UDP or any other protocol" or something similar.
Certainly it's acceptable for the DCCP filtering behavior to be
independent of TCP...

"REQ-4: A NAT MUST NOT respond to an unsolicited inbound DCCP-Listen
packet for at least 6 seconds after the packet is received."

What does "not respond" mean?  Not send the ICMP message? Not forward
the DCCP-Listen packet?  Both?  Maybe this could be clearer if it's
reworded in a positive vein -- "Upon receiving a DCCP-Listen packet a
NAT MUST..."

Section 5, REQ-5:

Is this saying that the "established connection idle timeout" cannot be
configured to be less than 2 hours 40 minutes?  I see this language is
stolen directly from behave-tcp, but I find it confusing.

Section 6:

The first paragraph seems inaccurate to me.  It's actually much easier
to modify the payload in DCCP than it is in TCP.  As long as the
modified packet remains within the PMTU, you don't have to do anything
to the DCCP header except adjust the checksum -- you certainly don't
need to modify the sequence numbers.  You would only need to modify the
sequence numbers if you added a packet.  Of course changing the packet
size *might* foul up the application, but the purpose of an ALG is to be
application-aware, and so it would be highly unlikely to do something
that would foul up the application.

I agree with the intent here -- no ALGS -- but I don't think your
argument justifies it.  Maybe something more along the line of no DCCP
applications currently need ALGs, so let's keep it that way.

Section 10:

Somehow I think an empty security considerations section isn't going to
fly :-).  I suppose you could start by referencing the behave-tcp
security issues and describe what's different here.

General:

Your use of RFC 4787 terms isn't identical to RFC 4787.  For example,
you use "endpoint independent mapping" and RFC 4787 uses
"endpoint-independent mapping" -- it makes it difficult to look up the
meaning of the terms.

Of