RE: Comments on draft-ietf-dccp-dtls-04.txt

Hi Gorry,

Thanks -- see inline...

Tom P.

[Tom P.] I agree with this overall.  Just don't forget what comes right
after that quote saying DTLS MUST NOT use a value greater than DCCP's.

> <see related mail thread>
>
> ---
> Page 8, section 3.6, first para.
> - Following the WG meeting discussions at the last IETF meeting, it
> seems we need to consider the requirement that applications using
> DTLS/DCCP and ones not using DTLS/DCCP "MUST use different Service
> Codes".  It was suggested that this could be too strong, and noted
that
> this is NOT an interoperability issue, and not one that the IETF could
> easily enforce.
> - I wonder if it is wiser to recommend that they "SHOULD register and
> use different Service Codes".
> - To me, the current text does seem to describe the rationale that
would
> support this recommendation (i.e. say why we have written this).

[Tom P.] Yes, I feel better with this as a SHOULD.

> ---
> Page 8, section 3.7, final para
> I question whether this is an issue of "feeling" - if it needs a
> different Service Code, they should register one and use it:
>    /If the
>     application developers feel that the new version of DTLS provides
>                            ^^^^
>     significant new capabilities to the application that will change
the
>     behavior of middleboxes, they MAY use a new Service Code./
> I suggest:
>    /If a new version of DTLS provides
>     significant new capabilities to the application that will change
the
>     behavior of middleboxes, an application developer MAY register a
new
>     Service Code./
> ---

[Tom P.] I agree that the new text is better.

> Editorial:
> ---
> It seems that you have chosen CCIDn (e.g. CCID3) to denote CCID 3,
other
> RFCs have used a space or hyphen (if they wish to directly link the
> number and CCID). Would one of these other forms be acceptable?

[Tom P.] The RFCs seem to use CCID X consistently, I'll change.

> ---
> page 4, section 3.2, final para, line 5
> /Server implementations/
>   ^^^^^^^
> - This is not really a feature negotiation or call-setu-function, so
it
> would be better to omit the word server. To me this applies equally to
> clients and servers.

[Tom P.] If I've found the place you're talking about, the full sentence
says "For example, DCCP Server implementations are free to discard
Application Data received in DCCP-Request packets".  Only the server
side can received DCCP-Request packets.  I think it's clear that
"Server" shouldn't be capitalized.  The sentences meaning would probably
still be clear without "server" too.

> ---
> page 7, section 3.5
> - Please change: /CMPS/CCMPS/

[Tom P.] Oops!

---
> Page 8, section 3.7
> /to this document, it is assumed/
>                     ^^
> - I think it would be clearer to use "which" instead of "it" to remove
> possible amibiguity that this is speaking of the document itself.

[Tom P.] Well, "it" *is* meant to refer to the document itself -- "in
the absence of a revision to this document, this document is assumed to
apply to all future versions of DTLS" -- a little clumsy, but at least
it seems to be unambiguous.

----
> Page 8, section 3.7, final para
> - It would be helpful to remind readers that DTLS itself identifies
the
> version, before proceding with the SC discussion:
> Please add:
> "The DTLS version value [RFC4347] identifies the version of DTLS that
is
> in use.

[Tom P.] The second sentence of 3.7 is roughly equivalent to that.  Do
we really need to say it again?

----
> I note this I-D does not include the optional section on
acknowledgments
> section.
> ----

[Tom P.] Yes, now that I've had some feedback that's good idea, thanks.