RE: WGLC comments for draft-ietf-dccp-dtls-04

Hi Pasi,

Thanks for the careful reading and comments.  See inline...

Tom P.

[Tom P.] So it should say "(PMTU) currently in force [for normal data
packets]" (inserted text in the brackets)?

> 2) Section 3.5, "A DTLS over DCCP implementation MAY use the
> DCCP-managed value for PMTU and not perform PMTU Discovery on its
> own."
>
> Well... although skipping some parts of PMTU Discovery may be
> possible, I think it would be an extremely bad idea to ignore this
> PMTU Discovery related part from RFC 4347: "DTLS implementations
> SHOULD back off handshake packet size during the retransmit backoff
> described in Section 4.2.4." I think this should be mentioned
> explicitly.

[Tom P.] OK.

> 3) Section 3.5, "DTLS implementations also sometimes allow
> applications to control the use of the DF bit (when running over
> IPv4)." This sentence should probably continue "or the use of
> fragmentation extension headers (when running over IPv6)"?

[Tom P.] OK.

> 4) Section 3.2 says "DTLS server implementations MAY choose to respond
> to a ClientHello message received in a DCCP-Request packet with a
> HelloVerifyRequest message, if denial of service countermeasures are
> to be used, or a ServerHelloDone message otherwise, in the
> DCCP-Response packet."
>
> This text gives the impression that the server replies to ClientHello
> with ServerHelloDone; this isn't correct.  It replies with a bunch of
> handshake messages (ServerHello, Certificate, ServerKeyExchange,
> CertificateRequest, ServerHelloDone; some of which are optional in
> some cases).

[Tom P.] Oops!  I meant ServerHello.  I'll fix.

> 5) Section 3.4 says "It could conceivably contain multiple DTLS
> sessions, in series or even in parallel, while simultaneously
> transferring non- DTLS data.  In practice this could be difficult to
> demultiplex at the application/DTLS level and support for this is
> likely to be rare to nonexistent.  [RFC4347] does not specifically
> exclude multiple DTLS sessions simultaneously sharing the same
> underlying transport."
>
> RFC 4347 does require that the transport must be able to do the
> multiplexing, as DTLS cannot do it. Since DCCP doesn't contain any
> field which could be used for multiplexing, and DTLS records are
> encrypted, the claim "it could be difficult" is misleading -- it
> simply isn't possible to have multiple simultaneous DTLS sessions
> (without inserting some kind of application multiplexing layer between
> DCCP and DTLS). (Having DTLS and non-DTLS data may be possible,
> though.)
>
> I would suggest rephrasing this along the lines "A DCCP connection
> has no knowledge of the type of application data it is transferring.
> If the application performs appropriate multiplexing, a DCCP
connection
> could conceivably contain both DTLS and non-DTLS data in parallel.
> However, [RFC4347] cannot multiplex simultaneous DTLS sessions (as
DTLS
> records do not contain any kind of association identifier), and thus
> running multiple parallel DTLS sessions over a single DCCP connection
> is not possible."

[Tom P.] OK (thanks for the wording :-)).

> 6) Editorial nit: Section 6.1, reference RFC4347 is missing the second
> author's name.

[Tom P.] Thanks.