A method for easier allocation of server ports for DCCP applications

I finished a revision of the SC draft (rev -02) last month. In this revision, I decided to step-back from the problem of easier allocation of server ports to Service Codes.

One possibility would be to find a way to allow easier allocation of DCCP server ports (e.g. also from a specific DCCP Registry covering the dynamic port range (not allocatable for TCP/UDP, etc)). This does not seem to cause conflict with the new spec., but has drawbacks....

I now have another proposal for which I'd appreciate feedback:

The specification defines a default server port that is formed from a specified hash of the SC value to a part of the dynamic range 49152..65535. This method could result in overlapping allocations (but these would be statistically rare, and not a problem per-se). It would NOT preclude a server application using a well-known port from the port registry (as currently), or other value negotiated by some other means (e.g. SIP, RTSP,whatever...). I suggest that this hash-approach could eliminate the need for a port registry entry for every SC: all applications that have SC allocations would immediately have access to a "well-known" server port.

Does anyone have thoughts?

Does anyone have a hash algorithm to recommend?

best wishes,

Gorry