Re: About pluggable congestion control infrastructure in DCCP

On 8/20/07, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Em Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 08:53:15AM +1200, Ian McDonald escreveu:
> > On 8/20/07, Shahiduzzaman <shahid21st@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > This may be a redundant or very naive question - sorry in advance for
> > > that. Can anybody tell me, whether the current Linux kernel DCCP
> > > implementation is done in a fashion like TCP pluggable congestion
> > > avoidance modules infrastructure (http://lwn.net/Articles/128681/) ?
> >
> > The short answer is yes and no!
>
> I think the answer is just "yes"
>
> The CCID infrastructure in the Linux kernel is done in a fashion like
> the TCP pluggable congestion avoidances modules infrastructure. One can
> write a new CCID and load, making it available for userspace programs to
> use without changing a line of code in what is already in the kernel.
>
> > No that the in-tree version does not support it.
>
> The question was if it was done "in a fashion like", not "exactly as". I
> may be confused with your answer as english is not my first language tho
> :-)

I think my answer may have been confusing then...

To clarify the CCID code is modular in that you don't need to write
the code from the ground up for a new CCID. It has callback functions
for implementing various protocol requirements.

The part where it is not modular (in the tree anywhere) is if you want
to change just the very small part of how the congestion control is
done for any particular CCID.

I hope this clarifies a little. I get confused even though English is
my first language!

Ian
--
Web1: http://wand.net.nz/~iam4/