RE: Comments on DTLS/DCCP I-D

Hi Gorry,

Thanks for the careful read.  See inline for a few comments -- no
comment means OK.

Tom P.

PS.	I'll give your new SC draft a careful read in the next few
days...

[Tom P.] No, it's more like a "needs to" -- I'll find some better
phrase.

> 5) Section 3.2 - is this a RFC2119 "MUST" or not? - please explain.
> > Subsequent DTLS handshake messages  ... must wait for the completion
>                                           ^^^^
[Tom P.] This should be a MUST.

> 6) Section 3.4 - could it be helpful to refer to the SC work item
(e.g. as
> an informative reference)?
>
> 7) Section 3.5.
> My understanding is that Service Codes can be used to identify
protocol
> versions - although use to differentiate variants of a single protocol
are
> to be discouraged. Would the working group expect a NEW subsequent
version
> of DTLS to be allocated a new set of service codes, or to use the
same?

[Tom P.] I'm trying to remember where we ended up on this -- did we
decide that two different SCs can listen on the same port or not?  (Did
a quick search of the archive but couldn't find the relevant thread)  If
two SCs can't listen on the same port, then a new SC for a new version
doesn't work so well -- you'd need to get a new port too.

At any rate, I'll read your new SC draft with this in mind.

Not sure from your comment above whether you're talking about a new
version of an application that uses DTLS or a new version of DTLS.  Are
you suggesting that a new version of DTLS would force all applications
using it to get a new SC?  That seems a little cumbersome.

> 8) Do you propose to document some Service Code values for
IETF-defined
> services, e.g. Define some SC allocations for  RTP/DTLS/DCCP?

[Tom P.] I wasn't considering doing that.  It seems to me that the place
for that is where the application is defined.