RE: Why do we have or should have keep-alive packets?

Dear Tom,

>OK, so at least two of us agree that DCCP SHOULD NOT generate DCCP-Data
>packets on its own (zero length or otherwise) :-).

:)

>Therefore it seems to me that applications MAY use zero-length packets
>as they see fit.  The question left is "is RTP an application?"  To me,
>RTP has many more of the characteristics of a transport protocol than an
>application, but it is consistently used over some transport protocol,
>so what is it?

I think this has two perspectives:

1) From the RTP's point of view, it has characteristics of a transport
protocol, and infact RTP is a transport protocol for real-time applications.

2)From the underlying transport protocol which carries the RTP packets, RTP
would be considered as an application layer entity?

>So, the model I think that Colin has in mind for RTP over DCCP (chime in
>if I get it wrong, Colin) is that a real-time application gives data to
>RTP, RTP wraps that data in RTP packets and gives that to DCCP, who
>wraps the RTP packets in DCCP packets.  So from DCCP's point of view,
>RTP is the application, and the (real) application has no way of
>directly sending DCCP packets.  That says that RTP MAY send zero-length
>packets.

True. I think so too.

>One question that I still have is who is responsible for recognizing
>idle and sending something?  Is it the RTP stack?  Or should the app
>send a NOP packet that the RTP stack translates to a zero-length packet?

I am trying to find answers to these questions too. Maybe Colin is the right
person who can shed some light :).

Regards
Arjuna

[snipped]