Re: Some comments on the draft of 3448/TFRC.bis (Feb 2007)

Ian -

One added thing for RFC4342:
3.1.  Relationship with TFRC

  The congestion control mechanisms described here follow the TFRC
  mechanism standardized by the IETF [RFC3448].  Conforming CCID 3
  implementations MAY track updates to the TCP throughput equation
  directly, as updates are standardized in the IETF, rather than wait
  for revisions of this document.  However, conforming implementations
  SHOULD wait for explicit updates to CCID 3 before implementing other
  changes to TFRC congestion control.

This implies that we SHOULDn't really be putting updates into CCID3.
We are (it doesn't say MUST) but I think this is OK given the code is
experimental.

Hmmm.  That paragraph says that if the throughput equation in
RFC3448 is updated, conforming CCID3 implementations MAY
track those changes, but CCID3 implementations SHOULD not
track other changes to TFRC congestion control until they are
explicitly added to CCID 3.  That is, any changes that we make to
RFC 3448, we also have to make explicitly to CCID 3.  (Though
it should be enough to add an update to CCID 3 that says "instead
of following RFC3448, CCID 3 should now follow RFC XXXX,
(which obsoletes RFC 3448), except for YY and ZZ.)

That seems ok to me.

- Sally
http://www.icir.org/floyd/