[Tom]
Yes, I caught that yesterday.

> [...]
> don't conflict, according to section 4.3 of the draft.
>
> > Section 4.4, RTP Sessions and DCCP Connections -- I'm a little
unclear
> > on the meaning of "RTP session", in particular the relationship of
> > session to synchronization source.
>
>  From RFC 3550 section 3:
>
>     RTP session: An association among a set of participants
>        communicating with RTP.  A participant may be involved in
> multiple
>        RTP sessions at the same time.  In a multimedia session, each
>        medium is typically carried in a separate RTP session with its
> own
>        RTCP packets unless the the encoding itself multiplexes
multiple
>        media into a single data stream.  A participant distinguishes
>        multiple RTP sessions by reception of different sessions using
>        different pairs of destination transport addresses, where a
pair
>        of transport addresses comprises one network address plus a
pair
>        of ports for RTP and RTCP.  All participants in an RTP session
> may
>        share a common destination transport address pair, as in the
case
>        of IP multicast, or the pairs may be different for each
>        participant, as in the case of individual unicast network
>        addresses and port pairs.  In the unicast case, a participant
may
>        receive from all other participants in the session using the
same
>        pair of ports, or may use a distinct pair of ports for each.
>
>        The distinguishing feature of an RTP session is that each
>        maintains a full, separate space of SSRC identifiers (defined
>        next).  The set of participants included in one RTP session
>        consists of those that can receive an SSRC identifier
transmitted
>        by any one of the participants either in RTP as the SSRC or a
> CSRC
>        (also defined below) or in RTCP.  For example, consider a
three-
>        party conference implemented using unicast UDP with each
>        participant receiving from the other two on separate port
pairs.
>        If each participant sends RTCP feedback about data received
from
>        one other participant only back to that participant, then the
>        conference is composed of three separate point-to-point RTP
>        sessions.  If each participant provides RTCP feedback about its
>        reception of one other participant to both of the other
>        participants, then the conference is composed of one
multi-party
>        RTP session.  The latter case simulates the behavior that would
>        occur with IP multicast communication among the three
>        participants.
>
>        The RTP framework allows the variations defined here, but a
>        particular control protocol or application design will usually
[Tom]
Man, no wonder I'm confused about this :-).  This text seems to have a
few internal conflicts, but I think it comes down to saying a session is
the traffic you receive on a given port (pair) plus destination address.
Although a session may span multiple port/destination address sets.  And
it also seems to say that a session is one medium flow, although it
isn't particularly clear or forceful about this, especially since a
session can span multiple port/address sets.

> > Is this meant to allow, for example, two PSTN gateways multiplexing
> > media for several calls over the same DCCP connection?
>
> Probably not. I'd expect each call to be a separate session.
[Tom]
Yes, so given the interpretation of the text above, multiple calls over
one DCCP connection wouldn't be, well, normal.

PS.  Thanks for your patience in educating me on the intricacies of RTP.
:-)