DTLS over DCCP

Hi All,

Offline, Gorry brought up the question of what the service code should
be in DTLS over DCCP applications.  The draft is silent on this issue
and probably shouldn't be.

There seems to me to be three choices:
  1) The same service code the application uses without DTLS
  2) A new service code that identifies the application with DTLS
  3) A DTLS service code

To me, number 3 seems to be the wrong way to go.  To me, the service
code is meant to identify the application, not the layer 4.5 transport.
I suppose that some firewalls might be more or less willing to allow an
application that uses DTLS than one that doesn't (more because of the
various protections DTLS affords, less because the content will be
opaque to firewalls), so we should prefer 2.

In that vein, I suggest something like the following language:

"An application using DTLS over DCCP SHOULD register a new service code
for the combination, but MAY use the same service code as when operating
without DTLS."

Tom P.