Re: facilitators at ietf@ietf.org

At 3:40 PM +0300 9/23/14, IETF Chair wrote:

Occasionally, discussions on the list get heated, repetitive, or unnecessarily personal. When that happens, I have found that quick responses on the list or to the persons often resolves the situation, and productive discussion can continue. However, I am also finding that it is difficult for me personally to stay on top the threads in real time, and late reactions are not as useful. As a result, I plan to ask two persons to help monitor the discussion and steer it towards the most useful avenues.

This seems reasonable. My only questions are why a formal role is needed and why only two people? I would have thought any of the calmer heads could send private notes to people who get caught up in emotions during a mailing list discussion. Perhaps it works better to have this done by a very small set of officially-designated people.

--
Randall Gellens
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is