Security for the IETF wireless network

While many of us have been working on improved transport and other security mechanisms, I’d like to observe that the default wireless network we are using here in Toronto is unencrypted over the air.  I am not sure how good practice that is. And it is probably not a good example either.

Could we consider making 802.1X the default, for instance, starting in Honolulu meeting? At least in the sense of the ietf SSID providing security and perhaps ietf-nosec providing the current behaviour?

It would also be helpful if you try it now. The two SSIDs, ietf.1x and ietf-a.1x are available now, we recommend you use them and we would appreciate your reporting any problems. The user ID and password are both 'ietf' (sans quotes).

Jari Arkko
IETF Chair
(with input from some NOC people)